When bumps in the road leave you rattled, consider the following ideas, in steps:
1. less denial and more awareness
2. taking a moment and a few deep breaths
3 . owning your reality, not what it should be
4. being (really) honest with yourself
5. listening to the voice inside (no, not that one, the other one)
6. simplifying the immediate as best possible, even for a little bit
7. finding support where you have it
8. loving yourself (firmly if needed, but always with love)
9. getting off the couch, the bed, from the corner, or the fridge
10. taking one small step forward
To continue the de-rattling, repeat steps as often as necessary.
If you feel the need to harden
—channel it. Soften your heart, not your edges.
If you grow impatient
—it’s because there’s a lesson that needs deeper learning (this is the only thing that works for me). Also, less dwelling and more doing.
If you begin to lose faith
—find a way to laugh. Actually, the magic combo is Laughter + Gratitude. Unlimited refills.
If you feel you’re alone in this
—the biggest myth out there. You (I) are not that unique. There’s Google. Plus, other alien life forms, helloooo.
See what works for you. Any of it, all of it. Because the how doesn’t matter, it only matters that you do.